Questions tagged [discussion]

The question you're asking is designed to solicit opinions or best-practices on a particular topic, with the goal of reaching community consensus.

Filter by
Sorted by
Tagged with
6
votes
2answers
171 views

Implementation List Questions

It seems we have had a few questions recently asking for references on implementations. For example: Are there any Implementations of Secure Indexes? How to implement order preserving encryption or ...
5
votes
2answers
90 views

Elliptic-Curves and ECC tags

We currently have the tags ecc (28 questions) for elliptic-curve-crypto, and elliptic-curves (11 questions) - 5 questions have both tags. Should we rename ecc to elliptic-curve-crypto? Should we ...
2
votes
2answers
75 views

The security tag

The security seems rather redundant - isn't almost all cryptography related to security?
3
votes
3answers
104 views

How do we get users to accept answers?

I'm noticing a few active members of this site with very low accept rates. Is there a generally accepted method for enouraging those members to go back and accept answers? Or at least to get them to ...
5
votes
1answer
38 views

Suggested tag synonyms

aes <-- rijndael (rijndael was the original name of aes) withdrawn because only one variant of rijndael became AES random-number-generator <-- prng (rng is a synonym already) ssl <-- https (...
3
votes
1answer
54 views

Should tags be based on the answer(s)?

Should good answers to a question influence which tags are appropriate for that question thread? In other words, are the tags dictated only by the content of the question, or by the content of the ...
3
votes
1answer
73 views

Setting up the next chat event - call for topics!

Well hello again. It has been a while since we did a chat event, and I think we should do another one soon. We now have a community calendar which this and other events can be entered into, so, for ...
3
votes
1answer
50 views

Are questions about the articulation of cryptographic concepts and methods in software development on topic?

I've been asking some application-related questions recently: is-a-random-length-extension-worth-the-effort tips-on-conceiving-safe-software-messaging-platform And I wonder if software application ...
7
votes
10answers
257 views

Cryptography self-evaluation: how ARE you doing? [closed]

There are lots of metrics we can use to "measure" a site, and we do, but none of them matter as much as having a healthy and happy site full of interesting questions and expert answers. So, let's ...
2
votes
3answers
98 views

Is paying or donating for answers allowed here?

I am trying to learn crypto and build some background knowlege to finish a CompTIA security certification. Is there a way to pay or donate for answers to my basic questions since I do not have any ...
3
votes
0answers
55 views

Stack Overflow Worldwide Meetups 2012: You're invited!

We're having a Stack Overflow meetup to get together with fellow programming, web, and other technology enthusiasts. But not all of our programmers and technology enthusiasts live on Stack Overflow, ...
6
votes
0answers
79 views

New Beta Theme Launched

Your site looks a bit different today. Yes, we are getting rid of the 'Sketchy' look and replacing it with a more-polished and finished design for sites in beta. You can read more about the redesign ...
5
votes
0answers
57 views

Interested in the SE moderation process?

Then the assembly is the room you need. As some of you may or may not know, moderators have a room that's hidden from public eyes. There's several reasons for this: We need, sometimes, to discuss ...
4
votes
2answers
124 views

Stewardship of an ecryptfs tag

I am one of the authors and the current maintainer of eCryptfs, a cryptographic filesystem for Linux. It's been in the Linux kernel since about 2006. It's the cryptographic filesystem used by ...
3
votes
1answer
84 views

Chat meeting #3: Review a book

Announcing our next chat meeting which will take place on Tuesday 28th February 2012 at 19:30 UTC - please adjust for your timezone. You can sign up for reminders in your timezone on the schedule page....
3
votes
0answers
53 views

Chat meeting #2 on tuesday, 24th of january 2012

So I've got myself in gear and organised chat meeting number 2, a chance for as all to get together in chat. I apologise for only giving six days notice. Things I think we should consider covering: ...
9
votes
0answers
133 views

Setting up crypto challenges - call for volunteers

Ok, so another wacky promotion idea I had. I would like to add I had it before somebody else launched theirs! Anyway, here is the concept: Challenges As discussed in chat, I suggested we run some ...
2
votes
1answer
44 views

Meta tags: [scope], [allowed-questions] and [closed-questions]

While tagging this question, I noticed that we have scope, allowed-questions and closed-questions. Should they just be merged?
11
votes
2answers
677 views

Should we allow questions about amateur ciphers?

Our FAQ currently says: Do we accept questions asking for cryptanalysis of your cipher (hash function, ...) design? No, we do not. If you want peer review of your full cryptographic scheme, here is ...
2
votes
0answers
29 views

Chat event #2 - planning?

So, after chat event number 1 went fairly well I think, I hereby propose we have chat event number 2. The date and time is yet to be decided. With Christmas nearly upon us for those who celebrate it, ...
8
votes
3answers
187 views

Towards an acceptable solution for textbook requests

So we've had a bit of a debate in chat between the mods and some users (more users in chat would be awesome) about reference request posts. I thought, having slept on it for two nights, I would lay ...
3
votes
1answer
100 views

Chat event #1 - meet the moderators

Us moderators have colluded and found a time we can all make for the first chatcast event (see the link for the proposed idea). The first chatcast thing will be on (Monday) the 28th of November at 19:...
9
votes
9answers
338 views

Should we name our chat room?

As you know, we have a chat room! Where you are welcome to come and have a chat about... whatever you like. I have previously suggested potentially having chatcast/organised meetings in there. To ...
6
votes
1answer
147 views

Is it OK to ask for cryptanalysis of a cipher which was still widely deployed a few years ago?

I'm wondering if the following question would be on topic and ethical: How would the stream cipher GOC be cryptanalyzed with modern techniques? The GOC (Générateur d'Octets Chiffrants) is a stream ...
3
votes
2answers
56 views

Do we need the [algorithm] tag?

I just found the algorithm tag, our most-used tag without a tag wiki (excerpt). It has 16 questions (7 asked in the last 30 days), and I can't seem to find what this tag indicates (for writing it ...
12
votes
2answers
1k views

Do we want “challenge”/analyse-this questions and if so what constraints, if any, should we put on them?

So earlier I decided to close this question based on several factors. I chose too localised, because I don't think such a question really benefits anyone as it stands. This raised the question in my ...
8
votes
1answer
111 views

Crypto “chatcasts”?

So, I have an idea... this is based partly on the fact that certain things such as book lists and subjective discussion aren't great fits for the SE engine (although communities have been known to ...
4
votes
3answers
119 views

What should I do when I see an incorrect answer?

This is a continuation of a discussion from a comment thread elsewhere. Here is the basic question. When I see an incorrect answer, what would you recommend that I do? I have always assumed that ...
10
votes
4answers
816 views

Asking homework questions

Is it desirable for people to ask a homework question here? Set aside for now the question of how this would be enforced. I'm more interesting in the policy question, and in our goals. Is this ...
5
votes
4answers
76 views

Asking question for which I know the answer

Is it ok to ask a question that I think is relevant for this community (and for which there doesn't seem to be an easily-found answer via google) even if I know the answer? It seems we have a paucity ...
4
votes
1answer
145 views

Help us define our scope by writing the FAQ?

As you probably know, all stackexchange sites have a FAQ. What you might not know is that the community can edit part of it through their moderators. Specifically, we can edit this bit: What kind of ...
10
votes
1answer
210 views

Moderator Pro Tem Announcement

Throughout the beta, we need members from the site whose focus is to engage the community, both in community-building issues and site management. That's why we select a few members from each community ...
6
votes
4answers
220 views

Short of inventing cloning, how do we attract more Paŭlos and Thomases to this site?

Now we are in public beta I think the time is right to do some community building. I am currently third (by one reputation point) in the overall leaderboard (at the time of writing and only by a ...
-12
votes
1answer
168 views

What is the point of this separate cryptography forum?

This forum only has 97 questions so far. What is the point? It is not visited by many people. Shouldn'it be re-intergrated with the main stackoverflow forum? I find it pointless.
4
votes
2answers
87 views

Search for co-authoring of crypto papers

It has happen to me many times, as I'm not a full time researcher, that I have an innovative crypto idea but lack the time to write a paper or lack the knowledge to do the hard-work of proving my ...
2
votes
2answers
82 views

Do Area51 recommendations apply to public beta only, or are they good for a private beta, too? [closed]

On the Area 51 page for Crypto, there are a few recommended levels of questions, answers, visits, users, &c. Are these recommendations applicable to a private beta, or just public betas? For ...
3
votes
2answers
81 views

How can we reach out to the people that committed to crypto.se?

As discussed elsewhere on meta.crypto, we need more questions from existing private beta users. Can they be contacted? If so, what pitch should we make? One element of it that comes up for me is to ...
4
votes
1answer
68 views

Can we invite users to the private beta?

Ok so as has been raised a couple of times, we're fairly niche as SE sites go and are, like many of the public beta sites, not generating StackOverflow quantities of content quite yet. So obviously ...
5
votes
2answers
159 views

How to get more questions? Migrate from other SE sites?

It seems that we got at a dead point. There are no new questions for two days, and only 3 questions at all since the time the public beta should have started originally, with 52 questions - of those ...
6
votes
4answers
163 views

Is this area just about “modern” cryptography?

Cryptography is a very old subject in History and while many people concentrate on the Computer Age cryptosystems, quite a few people can be interested in older cryptosystems like oldish ...
12
votes
0answers
212 views

Private Beta Extended — Still Going Strong

The Community Team spent some time looking at Cryptography's Private Beta today, and we saw a lot of good things: Crypto has a good amount of meta activity (and you are very civil!), you are asking ...
2
votes
2answers
43 views

Tag cleanup and tag wikis before public beta?

I think it would useful to have some cleanup in the existing tags, as well as descriptions (e.g. tag wiki excerpts) for those we want to retain here. (For duplicate or ill-named tags, see The big tag ...
8
votes
7answers
217 views

The big tag naming discussion

We need to make these tag naming decisions (mostly together with synonyms). Do we want gpg or gnupg? (The other one would be made a synonym). ✔ It looks like gnupg is better. (Done.) Should we use ...
5
votes
2answers
61 views

Ownership of content in questions/answers?

I previously asked about if this was the site for asking about new algorithm techniques but this leads me to ask about who owns the content made available in the question, the content made available ...
4
votes
1answer
84 views

Tags: singular or plural?

I just had a look at the Tag list, and found both password and passwords. Obviously we don't need both. A similar point would be hash and hash-functions. There also are modes, s-boxes, resources, ...
4
votes
3answers
107 views

Is this the place to ask about crypto-algorithm creation/new techniques?

For almost 7 years I've been working in algorithm creation for new encryption systems. I'll be the first to tell you that my goals are lofty and that it's no small task to make something worth using. ...
8
votes
3answers
206 views

how to decide between Cryptography.SE and Security.SE?

I asked advances in usability for cryptography/authentication and one of the commenters raises a good point: should this be in Security.SE? Is there a good rule of thumb between the two? e.g. if it ...
4
votes
3answers
99 views

Are “How to use cryptography-program X” on topic?

This example https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/90/how-can-i-add-my-picture-to-my-public-key-using-gnupg got already 3 off-topic close-votes. Should we send such questions to superuser.com, ...
3
votes
2answers
100 views

Are questions on specific implementations of crypto in a specific device/application/system on topic?

Would it be permissible to ask questions like "What sort of encryption does IE 9 support in HTTPS mode" or "What sort of cryptography does the iPhone use to keep user 3g data secure"? Edit by ...
15
votes
7answers
280 views

Do we need MathJax?

Pretty much as it sounds. Certain cryptographic functions can be described mathematically. Is there a need for MathJax here?

1
4 5 6
7
8